US actor Kevin Spacey leaves the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York on October 6, 2022 in New York City. – AFP fig
Friday, 07 Oct 2022 08:52 MYT
NEW YORK, Oct.7 – Five years after misconduct allegations ended his Hollywood career, Kevin Spacey appeared in a New York court yesterday to face fellow actor Anthony Rapp’s allegation that the winner of the ‘Disgraced Oscar sexually assaulted Rapp in 1986 when he was a minor.
One of the first stars to get involved in the global #MeToo showdown on sexual abuse, 63-year-old Spacey smiled as he sat in a blue suit, white shirt and blue tie steps away from his accuser in federal courthouse in Manhattan.
Star Trek: Discovery The Rapp star, now 50, filed a September 2020 lawsuit against Spacey for advances and alleged sexual assault at a party in Manhattan in 1986, when Rapp was 14 and Spacey was about 20. You are seeking compensation of $ 40 million (RM 186 million).
The “House of Cards” actor, who has built his world fame since the 1980s in films such as “The Usual Suspects” and “American Beauty,” has consistently denied allegations of sexual abuse.
But during discussions in the case presided over by Judge Lewis Kaplan, Rapp’s attorney Peter Saghir told a jury of six men and six women that Spacey committed “unacceptable” acts against teenage Rapp “intentionally to satisfy the push of the his sexual desires “.
The alleged assault on Rapp “should never have happened,” Saghir continued. “She was 14”.
Spacey, whose full name is Kevin Spacey Fowler, has disappeared from public view after getting involved in the early days of #MeToo.
The movement exploded in October 2017, when more than 80 women in the film industry accused – and ultimately brought down – previously untouchable producer Harvey Weinstein.
At the end of the month, Rapp first accused Spacey, in great detail, in an interview with BuzzFeed News.
The next day, on Twitter, Spacey made his “sincere apologies” to Rapp for any “deeply inappropriate drunk behavior,” saying he did not remember the incident.
After a 2020 criminal charge of sexual assault was dismissed by a judge, Rapp filed a civil lawsuit.
According to a court document, Rapp claims that during the 1986 party, Spacey lifted him and that his hand “brushed” his buttocks as he did so. Rapp states that Spacey then put him back on a bed and “briefly laid his clad body partly next to and partly in front of” the 14-year-old.
During his testimony 35 years after the incident, Rapp agreed that “no kissing, no undressing, no hands under his clothes and no sexualized statements or allusions,” during an incident that lasted no more than two minutes.
In court, however, Rapp’s attorney persisted in the case, describing Spacey’s behavior as “wrong and frankly unacceptable.”
“This was no joke,” Saghir said.
“An impartial jury”
Spacey’s attorney Jennifer Keller told the jury, however, that such an assault “never happened.”
Keller said that in the decades following the meeting in Spacey’s apartment, Rapp “repeated the same false story (but) never repeated it to the police.”
Rapp repeated it for “attention, sympathy” because he never became an international star, according to Spacey’s lawyer.
Prior to the trial, Keller said Spacey would participate for its entire duration, which is expected to take less than two weeks.
“We can’t wait for it to be claimed by an impartial jury,” Keller previously told AFP in an email.
If found guilty, Spacey risks significant damage.
Kaplan had withdrawn Rapp’s initial sexual assault charge, ruling that it was filed too late and was not covered by a New York State Child Protection Act, implemented in 2019.
Spacey pleaded not guilty to the sexual assault charges of three men between March 2005 and April 2013 in Britain and in 2019 the charges against the actor of indecent assault and sexual assault were dropped in Massachusetts. – AFP